Hurricane season begins June 1. Homeowners, renters and business owners should prepare now. www.ready.gov
Take action now:• Know your risk.
• Stay informed. Download an emergency weather app on your phone. Purchase a weather radio.
• Plan to evacuate. Know your community’s evacuation plan, evacuation routes and how to receive alerts, additional information is located in the OEM Guidebook
• Build an emergency kit. Keep it ready at home, at work and in the car.
• Buy flood insurance. Most home insurance policies do not cover flooding. National Flood Insurance Program policies take 30 days from the date of purchase to go into effect. To learn more about protecting your home, visit www.floodsmart.gov.
• Protect your documents. Keep computers and important documents in a waterproof container. Remember to create password-protected digital copies.
• Protect your property. Move valuables to higher levels.